Sunday 11 December 2016

With Glowing Hearts

Have you heard about Canada's Big Quilt Bee with the Canadian Quilters Association (CQA)? They have a set a pretty BHAG (big, hairy audacious goal) for 2017. 1,000 quilts for Ronald McDonald House! The Big Quilt Bee will be held June 14-17, 2017 at Quilt Canada 2017 in Toronto, ON. They’ll have sewing machines, long arms, mid arms and lots of volunteers to work on quilt tops and stacks of slabs made by hundreds of Canadian quilters. It's going to be fun!

Hmm, I wondered if there's a Guinness World Record for the biggest quilt bee? So I looked it up. There's a record for the largest patchwork quilt, the largest bee house and the largest gathering of people dressed as bees (why?), but I did not find a record of the largest quilt bee. Something to think about, CQA?

But I digress. CQA is looking for blocks to get this party started. 12.5" slab blocks in particular with at least one piece of special Canada 150 fabric in it. Slab blocks are really easy to make and you can find the instructions on the Canadian Quilters Association site.

When Rita from Fabric Please approached me for this bee, I was game and I figured some of you would be too. She sent me this great charm pack of the Glowing Hearts fabric line by Grace Noël for Trendtex to get me started. She is carrying the entire With Glowing Hearts line that is available for purchase here.

I'm currently sitting in an arena so that hockey stick is very à propos!  

It's a beautiful fabric line, done to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary, which officially kicks off in 20 days by the way!

I've added in some of my red, aqua, grey and white scraps to the Glowing Hearts charm pack. I didn't think I had that many in those colours, but I've used a lot of them already and I still have more. Here's one of my blocks so far. I still need to add more rows to get it to 12.5". but it's coming along. A perfect low-stress project to do before or after the holidays.


Now here's the exciting part where there's something in it for you! Fabric Please! has offered up some prizes for people who donate slab blocks to the project. Woo hoo!

I will run a linky party here starting next week and running until May 17, 2017. You can link up the slab blocks you make for the project. Only slab blocks please -- this isn't TGIFF! or W.I.P. Wednesdays or Sew Thursdays or New Project Tuesdays or Manic Mondays or any of those other linky parties. This is just for slab blocks for Canada's Big Quilt Bee. I will remove your post (with love though) from the linky party if it's anything other than slab blocks. More details to come about the prizes from Fabric Please! next week when the linky party starts.

Note: your slab blocks do not have to have Glowing Hearts fabric in them, but they do need to have Canadian fabric somewhere in it. Also, you do not have to be Canadian for this either, just use a bit of Canadian fabric in your block. 💋

Mail your unfinished quilt tops and/or slab blocks to: Leslie Whitby 2895 Almonte Road, Carp, ON, K0A 1L0. Last day to mail is May 30, 2017.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get moving on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered fabric with two of my friends. We'll get started in January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks M-R for the great post. Your slab block looks amazing, by the way! Very pretty pairings with your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should be quite the retreat!

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...