This scrappy trip quilt started in 2012 when it was all the craze. My lovely Carmine group bee mates from the Simply Solids bee made 11 of the blocks here, with me supplying them with a grey and a purple.
I was hoping that using the constant of a grey and a purple in each block would pull the scrappiness together, but it didn't quite work out as hoped.
I think the problem is that each block has a colourway that works well with the grey and the purple in it's block, but is often very different from the blocks surrounding it. In hindsight, I think it also would have worked better if all the blocks were completely scrappy.
Also, if the blocks had a consistent value progression, I think it would have been a more successful composition. Live and learn!
That said, I learned a lot about colour palettes in making this quilt. I adore many of the blocks in this quilt, just not so much together. From the blocks that my Carmine bee mates made me, I saw some fabulous colour combos that I wouldn't have thought to try.
If I couldn't love the front, I figured that I would try to love the back. Purples and greys, and a mix of solids and prints.
Yep, happy with the back, especially with the quilting!
I tried out some different quilting options, but the thought of quilting one all over design on this quilt just didn't appeal to me. So I decided to break it up. Did some orange peels, twists, and clamshells using some charcoal Aurifil thread on the top and some purple Aurifil on the back.
I find doing different motifs breaks it up and adds some interest. It definitely made quilting it more interesting.
This quilt is 73" by 97". It's finally off my WIP list. Happy dance!