Thursday 8 October 2015

TGIFF! - Bubbles for Malcolm

Welcome to TGIFF! Boy, is this ever a TGIFF for me! Quilting time is at a premium these days with Fall activities in full swing. I was determined to finish this quilt for my turn to host TGIFF! though.

It took a few late nights, some early mornings and a lunch break here and there to finish this quilt, but it. Is. DONE! And I love it. This one is going to be a hard one to give away, but I'm so excited (dare I say 'bubbling' with excitement) to give it to Malcolm.

Hugely inspired by Janet Workman's gorgeous quilt, this baby quilt for my friend's son started out well, but had a few challenges along the way. It is a trickier quilt than it looks.


The last time I shared this, we talked quilting options. It's always so helpful to get other people's opinions so thank you for sharing your ideas! For the quilting, I used matching threads with the fabrics and did different motifs in the bubbles.



Love this one - asymmetrical swirl. :)


 I loved it so much, I did another.



In the light grey background, I broke up with negative space with some cloud sections. Each section has a different quilting motif (or two).



And definitely some large spirals and pebbles!


The backing is the IKEA numbers fabric I bought before it was discontinued.


Bubbles for Malcolm by a bubbling fountain. :) 


Ahh...so relaxing.


Finished size: 39.5 by 60"


27 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, M-R!! I love the quilt design but your quilting has really brought a whole new dimension to it. It's been so interesting to follow along your process with this one. Great finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quilt and the quilting is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and the quilting makes it so special!!! I love this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh M-R...it turned out fantastic! And the pictures are perfect...love the fountain pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It looks fantastic, and the quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a baby quilt that he will take to college! what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a baby quilt that he will take to college! what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quilt - your quilting is outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing! Those off center swirls - swoon. Beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! The colors are beautiful and perfection on the quilting! I wouldn't want to give it up either!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this quilt! It is simply brilliant! Your quilting is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a stunning quilt - love all the different quilt patterns and the colours are amazing. It's a first visit for me over here, and I'll certainly be back - love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I can see why this one would be hard to give away. The quilting, the colors, everything about it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilting and interesting color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt! And your quilting is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! That looks really incredible. The quilting is seriously stunning!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous! I'm so glad to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun quilt M.R. It was such wonderful bubbles. You did an amazing job quilting it. Thanks for the close ups.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the quilting, it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an awesome quilt MR! I love the different motifs in the bubbles and how you broke up all that negative space!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on this amazing finish! Quilting is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love it! Great quilting too - well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is stunning. I'd have a hard time giving it away too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an awesome finish! You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...