Posts

Showing posts from March, 2013

TGIFF! - Snow Crab Nebula

Image
Welcome to TGIFF! The wonderful Lynne from Never Too Hot To Stitch is hosting today so if you get a chance, head on over, link up your own recent finish and/or see the other fabulous Friday finishes.

This project began a few weeks ago with my first snow dyeing experiment. Yellow, ringed with red and then purple snow dyes turned this:


Into this:

This looked like one of those NASA images from space to me so I decided to see what I could do to accentuate it with some free motion quilting.

I used June Tailor fusible polyester batting for the first time. As this piece was going to be a wallhanging, I figured that I would be fine with some stiffness from the fusible. At first, my machine occasionally skipped a stitch, which was frustrating. Then I changed my needle and all was fine. I was surprised at how much the batting flattened down though. Despite the poly batting being about a 1/2-3/4" thick, it flattened right down to about what I'd expect from my regular Warm & Natural.…

Mo' Snow, Mo' Snow Dyeing

Image
I took advantage of the fresh snow dump of snow last week to have another go at snow dyeing. I used the same process as last time, but this time I used the cool dyes - Sun Yellow 108, Mixing Red 305, and Basic Blue 400. I used the same process as last time, but dyed fabrics in yellow, green (1/2 tsp yellow and 1/2 tsp blue), blue, purple (1/2 tsp blue and 1/2 tsp red), and a ringed version using yellow, blue and purple.

This:


Turned into this:
This:
Turned into this: This:
Became this:
 This:
 Did this:
And this:
 Became this:
I love how the greens, blues and purples turned out. Einh on the yellow and multicolour. I can't help but relate Forrest Gump's 'box of chocolates' quote to snow dyeing -- you never know what you're going to get!
Hope you are having a great day!

Friday Night Sew-In - Getting My FMQ On

Image
It's been a loooong week with the munchkins so I grabbed the chance to participate in the Friday Night Sew-In with Handmade by Heidi and Crafty Vegas Mom for the first time in a long time. I wasn't sure what to expect after the cast, so I took advantage of the time to practice my free motion quilting on Snow Crab Nebula.

Well, the first go wasn't a success:


Not what I was hoping for at all so I ended up ripping it out. Second go went much better.

And then I got to play...Milky Ways, satellites/stars, wormholes (a.k.a. ribbons, stars, pebbles, swirls) in lots of fabulous Aurifil colours.

Here are some photos:


I think I'll have the finished piece ready to share by Friday for TGIFF!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Works in Progress Wednesday - March Edition

Image
I shudder to think what's going to happen as I update my WIP list for the first time in six weeks. It feels like there's been some start-itis around here and very little finish-itis. Let's see...

New Projects:

Hard Core: I've renamed Burst of Colour to Hard Core because I made the medallion with my broken wrist. If that doesn't say that I'm a hard core quilter, what does? Also, I find it looks a little like the core of the earth...if you squint, turn your head to the left, stand on one foot and close your right eye. ;) When I shared the name with a friend, she pointed out to me that people might make the connection to porn. LOL!

Snow Dyeing: Fun, fun, fun! My first snow dye experiment went well so that when we got a dump of snow yesterday, I took advantage to snow dye some more fabric in a cooler palette. It's still batching right now, but I'll post pictures soon. 
Completed Projects:

Sewing Machine Cover: I was feeling a little rusty on my free motion quilt…

Unfinished

Image
My cast is off! Woo hoo! Five looooong weeks, but it's off! Even with the cast, I had hoped to finish the Something New Sampler with Amy @ The Cute Life. Today is the last day for the Something New Sampler link up, and while I finished all of the blocks, plus made three extra Sashiko blocks, I've only quilted half of them. Oh well, c'est la vie! Thanks for a fun quiltalong, Amy. I loved trying all the different techniques! Thank you also to all the blog teachers who provided the tutorials for the different techniques -- very well done, all!

Here are my new blocks:

Here are the quilted blocks:

And here are the rest of the blocks, still TBQ (to be quilted):


Now that the wrist and fingers are free, I can't wait to get quilting! Hopefully the next time you see these blocks, they will be in a finished quilt!