TGIFF! - Jelly Belly

Quilting Detail On the Back
Welcome to TGIFF!

My finish for this week is Jelly Belly. As I mentioned last week, this was made with a jelly roll, as well as some white from my stash.

For the quilting, I did loopy loos of different sizes. Once again, I found it more challenging to do larger quilting motifs than small ones -- I definitely need more practice! In the white strips, I did some loop twists (?) and in the triangles, I alternated with some designs that give it an art deco feel. I'm sure someone has named these designs, but I don't know the names.

Jelly Belly - Front
Jelly Belly - Front
Quilting Detail - From the Front
When it came to choosing the binding, I realized that I had a bit of a problem. When I picked out the whites for the front and the back, they looked like they matched (it was night). In the bright light of day, I realized that they were not similar enough. Whoops!

I had hoped to use white, with the remaining triangle scraps, but it was clear that whichever white I used, it would look off on the other side. One option I thought of what to do scrappy using both whites.

Then I thought about channeling Rita of Red Pepper Quilts -- WWRD (What Would Rita Do)? Maybe a black and white stripe? Fun! I think it works, even though my camera wouldn't take a proper close up photo of the stripes.

Quiltography: "Jelly Belly," by Michèle-Renée Charbonneau, Ottawa, 33.5" by 51.5", 2012.

Comments

  1. I've made that same mistake with whites, I now label my solids (especially whites!!) so I know which is which! Can't believe I'm the first to play today, I've been waiting for this! :D

    Tabatha at BendingPins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the quilting and the colors are so pretty! I totally have the same issue with my white fabrics and I need to label them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your quilting is amazing! Well done!! Such a pretty quilt and the stripy binding looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so stunning quilting M-R. And I love the blog redesign. I usually read your blog through Google Reader so it's totally possible you redesigned a while ago and I missed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, now I want jellybeans for some reason!! That quilting is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous M-R. Your quilting is amazing, as always. Really loving the back (???) too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is some quilting -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I especially love the triangular quilting design (one I'm still meaning to try!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. both pictures are labelled "the front"! i like the 2nd front best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just noticed this with whites I have used on another quilt I am finishing up. Beautiful finish XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect binding! Gorgeous quilt, front and back and obviously the fmq looks amazing! I really like the triangles and the deco look is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your fresh, modern "Jelly Belly." The white adds a touch that draws it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The binding fabric is fabulous! And your quiltling is amazing. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! The colors are gorgeous, the design is imaginative and the quilting is so creative and inspiring! Thanks for sharing M-R!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great quilt! I love all the different quilting motifs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the stripes...perfect touch of whimsy! (and of Rita LOL!)
    Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another gorgeous quilt! Love the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your quilting. And you can't go wrong with a black and white stripe for binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The stripes for the binding are absolutely perfect. LOVE the small-scale loops in the strips across!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is fantastic! I love the colors and the quilting. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I love your quilt and quilting. I'm still trying to summon up the courage to try some FMQ. Also, thanks for hosting the linking party, linking today for the first time - glad I found you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like you quilt and the quilting looks great! Love the art deco pattern in the triangles. The black and white binding is perfect. Recently I bought a black and white stripe to use as a binding, too. (Also because I like Ritas style) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome quilting!!! I love how the strips are from top to bottom. Great idea. I just finished a little table topper. Have a tree skirt for us cut out. Hope fully next and that is it for Christmas. Of course i have visions of projects old and new rolling around in my head. Love your blog. Have a great Christmas. We are still hoping for a bit of snow here in NS.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks great! I agree - the larger motifs can be a lot harder to quilt out. We're doing jelly roll races at our guild meeting in January, and I'm going to borrow some of your quilting ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Popular Posts

Triad - A Quilt-It Modern Blog Tour Finish

TGIFF! - We The North Since 1867

TGIFF! - Falling for Stripes