TGIFF! - Growth Chart Mania
|Growth charts for my boys|
When I first started thinking about this project, I sketched out a bunch of fun designs geared for young kids. I knew I wanted the charts on this wall right by the garage door, just off the kitchen. It's a very central space in our home so whatever was going to go there needed to last at least 20 years. While my kids might like something cartoonish or kid-like now, they probably won't when they are teenagers or adults so I decided to try the art quilt route and use some of the elements for each of their quilts: earth (grass), fire and water.
|Earth/Grass - Daniel's growth chart|
|Quilting detail on Daniel's chart|
|Water - Patrick's growth chart|
|Quilting detail on Patrick's chart|
You'd think the charts would get easier as I went along, but Micah's was the most difficult. I tried using repositionable spray instead of fusible web so that I wouldn't waste so much fabric by making it fusible. However, it was a long time between when I made the top and when I quilted it so some of the repositionable spray wore off and some of the flames came loose. Grrr! I stabilized it by doing some general all over quilting in a flame pattern and then satin stitched each flame down. A pain in the arse, but it looks good and I learned how to get a really good satin stitch point. Just don't look too closely because there are a couple of pleats sewn in. Oops. I then added some free motion quilting spirals as smoke swirls and added some more free motion flame quilting and it was done.
|Fire - Micah's growth chart|
|Quilting detail of smoke swirls|
|Satin stitch detail|
[Edited: I almost forgot! This is my One Week, One Thing Challenge for this month. Thanks Amy for hosting such a fun challenge every month!]
It's one of my finishes for Quilter in the Gap's Finish-A-Long!
I'm also linking up with Fabric Tuesday for the first time!