Tuesday 3 April 2012

Colour My World Yellow

I think yellow is the perfect colour for April's Colour My World Challenge, no? Where I live, it's just starting to warm up, so we're starting to see daffodils and crocuses. After working on black last month, I thought we needed a pop of bright to work with this month.

Before we talk about yellow specifically though, I wanted to share this great TED talk that Janine sent me. Beau Lotto of Lotto Labs talks about the role colour and value play in optical illusions. Fascinating! Thanks Janine!

 

From wikipedia.org
So, yellow. It's the warmest colour on the colour wheel and psychological the happiest of the colours. It's a primary colour whose complementary colour is purple. However, according to Johanne Itten, an artist and colour theorist, a balanced and pleasing composition of purple to yellow would have a ratio of 6:1, not 1:1 as we might expect for complements.

For those who want to learn more about yellow, here are a few good online resources:

Did you know why most pencils are yellow? When pencils were first being made, the finest graphite came from China. As yellow is a colour associated with royalty and respect in the Chinese culture, pencil makers in the States used that colour so that people would know that those pencils were the finest. There's some brand power 1890s-style. And yet in Greece, yellow means sadness and we associate it with cowardice. Things that make you go hmm, eh?

Take a moment to think about yellow. What do you think about? How does it make you feel? 

I think the sun, daffodils, "Yellow Submarine," the Simpsons, yellow lights, school buses, my second son's favourite colour (at least it is yellow today), corn, yellow peppers, sunflowers, and lemons. Personally, I like bright golden yellow, but in small doses. Light yellow actually makes me feel queasy, which I find weird. 

For this month's challenge, I think I'm going to do something sun-related, maybe experiment with some seta colours or more collage. Still mulling so we'll see... 

If this challenge interests you, you can find more information on my Colour My World Challenge page.  You are more than welcome to join in anytime. 

Hope you are having a great Tuesday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm only now working on black! ;) Kidding - I am working on a black piece which would have been a good fit for March.

    Been thinking on yellow, and coming up with BUPKUS. lol

    I still have three more weeks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost finished my black star!! Finally found the perfect background yesterday so I only have to piece it now. Should be done sometime this weekend! Yellow will definitely be a cheerful change of pace! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to the video. Everything is an illusion some people would say; but then, life is an illusion! Let's make it a colourful illusion! When I think of yellow, the first thing that comes to mind is lemon! Then, my favorite flower, the sunflower. Also, the sun that lightens up everything. How about bananas! Mix yellow with blue and you get green; mix it with red and you get orange - two colours we find everywhere. Funny though, I rarely wear yellow clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yellow and other bright colors. In fact just finished a quilt top in brighter oranges, yellows, and red.

    http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
    http://juliadawnhealey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great TED talk! Found that fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on the TED talk.
    Dom

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...